Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 14, July 12, 2012

I want to thank all of you who have been faithfully reading my blog. I'm using a Toshiba Android tablet to do all the postings so I'm hoping that once I have access to a computer, I'll be able to add some pictures. In the meantime, if you are my friend on Facebook or would like to be, you can see the many pictures that I've posted during the trip across Ireland. My name is Tom Phillips and I'm from Redwood Valley, California in case you're interested.

Today has been a rainy day. Ireland has quite a few rainy days but this one one has been particularly rainy. Nevertheless, it didn't dampen our spirits and we were able to find a couple of activities that worked out well. We had a bit of a break in the weather and were able to see the castle at Cahir (pronounced 'care') which is remarkably well preserved. In fact, we're told tht it is the most intact castle in Ireland.

We all have Heritage cards that we purchased in Dublin that allow us free access to many historic sites throughout Ireland. We've already covered our initial costs and plan to use the cards for many other sites.

We made our way into Waterford to the famous Waterford Crystal factory for a tour. The company was purchased by an American firm and was reorganized and reopened for tours in 2010. It still produces some of the finest crystal pieces in the world. We got to see some of the pieces that they are making for the 2012 Olympics in London this month. They have one man who is said to be the greatest glass engraver in the world. We saw him working on a piece that he has been working on for the past 7 weeks. As you might expect, it will be a very costly item.


No comments:

Post a Comment