Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 35, August 2, 2012

I started writing this blog in June and now it's August. How time flies this summer. Today turned out to be a beautiful sunny day. We purchased two-day "hop-on, hop-off" bus passes in order to see the sights in Dublin. These are very popular. There are about 25 stops where people can get on and off. The buses come by about every 10 minutes so you're not stranded for long periods of time. We noticed that most people weren't getting off but just going for the whole loop. It takes 1 1/2 hours to ride all the way around and there is almost constant narration by the driver about the sights along the way.

We got on at stop number 7 and got off at stop number 19, the Dublin Zoo. It was the perfect day for the zoo. I've been to a lot of zoos and this ranked up there as one of the best I've seen. We spent quite a few hours wandering around viewing the animals as well as the beautiful, garden-like setting.

After the zoo, we continued the bus tour, eventually coming back to the stop where we started. We took a taxi back to our guesthouse. I looked at the name of our driver and surmissed that he might be from Nigeria, like my son-in-law, Kiki. I asked him if he was from Nigeria and he said he was. He has been in Ireland for the past twelve years. Since he is from western Nigeria, he speaks the same language as Kiki, the Yoruba language. I told him about our grandson, Modadeoluwa. He perked up instantly, since Mo's name means "I wear the crown of the Lord" in the Yoruba language. I think I made this man's day. he was all smiles and said "God bless you" when we exited the taxi. I think he made my day too.

3 comments:

  1. that's cool that you were able to meet another Nigerian in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, if you remember the taxi driver's name, let me know. Kiki seems to know a lot of people from his area; maybe there's a small chance he would recognize the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, Kristin and Kiki, but I can't recall his name. I just remember that his name started with the letter "O".

    ReplyDelete